Sticker Shock

Several of Mora’s Above the Influence students and advisers recently went to North Country Liquor store and placed stickers on alcoholic products as a reminder that hosting or serving to anyone under the age of 21 is against the law. Those that choose to host and serve to under age minors may be criminally liable for underage drinking that takes place on your property. 

Spring and summer typically bring us many reasons to celebrate. Graduations, family reunions, weddings and other special events. Consuming or possessing alcohol while under the age of 21 is a violation of Minnesota law. However, usually for that violation to occur, a third party must also have broken a law. Some obvious offenders are adults who buy alcohol for, or provide alcohol to, an underage person, or who loan their driver’s license or identification card to an underage person for the purpose of purchasing alcohol.  

Not as readily apparent is the adult who allows an underage person to possess or consume alcohol on his or her property.  The Kanabec County Board of Commissioners and the City of Mora adopted the Social Host Ordinance with the intent of holding those adults responsible when they are aware of underage drinking on their property and allow it to occur. KANABEC COUNTY ORDINANCE NO. 33 Social Host Ordinance; City of Mora Ordinance. 

It is the shared goal of the Office of the Kanabec County Attorney, Office of the Kanabec County Sheriff and the Substance Abuse Coalition of Kanabec County (SACK) to keep our youth and young adults, and all community members, safe as we enjoy this summer.














*Special thanks to North Country Bottle Shop for their support of this program

Pictured: ATI students and Advisers
Contributor: Barbara McFadden Kanabec County Attorney


Content is Informational Only
The content of this site including text, graphics, images, and all other material are for informational purposes only. The information contained here is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. ALWAYS seek the advice of your physician or other qualified professional with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Do not disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read here!

If you are in a life-threatening situation or have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately.

Posted in Alcohol, News/Announcements.